Skip to main content

To Write Or Not To Write

My fingers are at keyboard but I don’t know which letter to start with. What to write and what for, for myself or for others, for a passion or for an accomplishment or just for my engagement. Yeah, I am lost, lost in my direction and my pursuit. But still there is urge to write and so remains the question.


Not sure what should I write about? Should it be about history, politics, economics, tourism, religion or what or whatever? Everyone is already up there writing something about anything and so I will be just rewriting and have nothing new to offer. Then why to join this bandwagon. Why not I should try something from my personal experience instead, something which exclusively belongs to me and so the total authority is mine. Others can only share their views but the author can only be only me.


But the irony is that there is nothing like a personal experience in this world. The experiences which might sound unique are actually not. With such a big human crowd out there it is very likely that one’s personal experience has been experienced by someone else albeit at some other time and in a little different form. But the essence is same. The agony, the pain, the ecstasy, the confusion, the dilemmas and the reactions all are but same; none is actually new or unique. If we turn the pages of history we will come across different characters in different times and different regions who have gone through almost the same experiences as others. It is just that the character has changed, the plot has changed and the audience has changed. But the story remains the same. So again a pause for me. Sharing of my personal experience also does not bring any excitement in me.


So I come back to the old question. I don’t have anything new to offer through my writings. Hundreds of thousands of stories, blogs and poems are already written on perhaps the same number of subjects or even more. So what to write?


But wait, have I got it all correct? People out there still rewrite and rephrase old stories and yes there are people who read it. Perhaps here lies the answer to my questions. I don’t need to look writings and readers in silos. They together make one entity and perhaps need to be looked that way. Let me little elaborate it.


Readers are different people: people with different thoughts and different understandings and so different choices. What may appeal to one may not appeal to another in same way. And for the same reason, for one subject a single book cannot satisfy all its readers. And so an ordinary writing has equal chance of getting read against a masterpiece in the same subject. A good reader will not settle with any inferior writing and a not so learned reader will also relish a not so good writing .So every writing has its share of readers and so each will survive and make a good reading.


One more point I will like to elaborate. Might be a new writing looks more like a repetition of an old one but still it is a repetition by chance and not by intention. Now why I say so is because of commonness of our human experience that every writing on it will have some common stories to tell but still it will have personal perspective of the narrator and so essentially won’t be a repetition. For instance let two people are experiencing the same phenomenon together. Their experience will be very common but still vary somewhat because of their individual personality and individual interpretation. So when a reader goes through different writings on same subject he is also going through different writers and so each story appeals him somewhat differently. And that’s where the originality or non repetitiveness of writing lies and why it appeals to its reader.


Now the pause ends for me. Hopefully I will find something to write about which is unique and original.

Popular posts from this blog

Krishna - the guy next door

Well, this write up is not about any God or his Godly powers but simply about a guy who remained perhaps the most youthful, the most futuristic, a very self-assured, a very care free, a very independent, least power thirsty, ever unbiased, a very pride less, most courageous and most importantly someone who always had the coolest head above his shoulders no matter in which situation he was thrown into. For me it’s best to see Krishna as an idea rather than a God, because I can bargain and implement an idea but a God is simply out of my reach and at best, his use in my life would be limited to worshipping, something which even Krishna would reject. So who was Krishna? Was he a king? No, his grandfather was the King of Mathura. Was he the most righteous among nobles? No, Yudhishthira was the one who knew best of Dharma. Was he the best looking among nobles? No, Nakul was the most handsome person of his time. Was he the biggest warrior of his time? No, Bhisma was the one wh

Lost in the air...or found it !!

And the plane was going up in the air…things were getting left behind. The airport walls, the runway, the people, the identities everything was getting blurred. Here I was up in the air, inside a plane hanging in between a sky above and clouds below. Though I was not alone and had few more fellow beings nearby, but that was it, this was the new definition of world left to me now. The conventional definition of world had no more significance in the mid air. So, between an endless sky and clouds, here I was. There was no more North, or South or up and down for me. Completely aimless and groundless and hanging somewhere, I had lost my identity. The identity which was cultivated or rather many times imposed on me for so many years was lost in a moment. Nothing mattered anymore. For a moment I started to think, which world I belonged to. The one which I had come from and claimed to be very much my own, or the one in front of me. My body, my name, my friends, anyone I had known, th